I’m based in Gerês mountain, a biosphere reserve in Portugal. My background is in architecture with 20 years of practice in creating immersive installations and micro-interventions in public space, individually and collectively.
I’m particularly interested in recording and creating with environmental sound, moved by its transformational power in expanding our senses and consciousness. I’ve been creating spatial sound installations and performances that enhance the vibratory qualities and essences of a place, its acoustics, the presence of water and wildlife.
My work has been presented in different contexts such as: ‘TSONAMI Festival de Arte Sonoro’ (Val Paraiso, CL), ‘sounds now – sound art in public spaces’ November Music (Den Bosch, NL), ‘maat – museum of art, architecture and technology’ (Lisbon, PT), ‘Noite Branca Braga’, gnration (Braga, PT), ‘Invisible Places: Sound, Urbanism and Sense of Place’ symposium (Azores, PT), ‘Lisboa Soa – sound art, urbanism and auditory culture’ (Lisbon, PT), ‘Archaeoacoustics III International Conference’ (Tomar, PT), ‘Tuned City – between sound and space speculations’ (Berlin, DE). A founding member of the collective Rural Vivo, inciting artistic, educational and ecological activities in Gerês mountain. I’m currently engaged as a researcher in the project AUDIRE – Audio Repository: saving sonic-based memories, University of Minho (Braga, PT).
– Practiced-based Ph.D. in Music – Sonic Arts (Unit for Sound Practice Research), 2019, Goldsmiths, University of London, United Kingdom. Thesis title: Aural Architecture Practice. Creative Approaches for an Ecology of Affect. Supervision by Professor John Levack Drever and Dr Iris Garrelfs. Fellowship by the Foundation for Science and Technology, Portugal (2011-2014).
– Master of Science and Technology in Architectural and Urban Acoustics, by Sorbonne University, co-program with Université Pierre et Marie Curie, IRCAM and Ecole d’Architecture Paris La Seine, France (2007).
– Architect by the Faculdade de Arquitectura da Universidade do Porto, Portugal (2001).
– Traditional Feng Shui practicioner (advanced), by the Instituto Europeu de Estudos Tradicionais Chineses, Porto, Portugal (2014-2018).
– XIII Ensemble Training Course of Musical Improvisation with Communities, Casa da Musica, Porto, Portugal (2017-2018).
– Sound therapy with bowls and gongs, by the Peter Hess Academy, Portugal (2014-2015).
INSTALLATIONS & PERFORMANCES (selection)
– Agua Libre. Environmental sound composition. Radio diffusion in TSONAMI – XV Festival de Arte Sonoro, Chile, December 18, 2021.
– Liminal. Spatial sound installation and durational composition based in location recordings. Sounds Now – Sound Art in Public Spaces, November Music, Serre of Verkadefabriek, Den Bosch, The Netherlands, November 6 to 14, 2021.
– De Beja ao Guadiana. Location recordings during artistic residency Futurama – Baixo Alentejo’s Cultural and Artistic Ecosystem, Beja, August 2021.
– Gerês Biosphere Reserve Dawn Chorus. Live streaming in Reveil, Sound Tent, Dawn Chorus Day, May 1 2021.
– Concert for 2027 Plants. Performance with plants. Braga’27, oficial presentation of Braga as a candidate from the European Capital of Culture 2027, Altice Arena, Braga, November 27 2020.
– In Girum. Spatial sound installation. Dar a Ouvir, Convento de São Francisco, Coimbra, July 11 2020.
– Extinction Calls. Soundscape installation. maat – museum of art, architecture and technology, Lisbon, June 2020 to January 2021.
– Symbiosis and Geometries. Field recording, spatial sound installation and performance. Residency in collaboration with Luís Alberto Bittencourt, at Mata da Albergaria, Gerês, June 29 – July 3 2020.
– Oneiric Gardens. Collective installation Sounds from the Garden. Multi-speaker diffusion programme. Horniman Museum, London, UK, 16-17 November 2019.
– Symbiotic Real. Audiovisual exhibition. Breaking Boundaries: Academia, Activism and the Arts, University of Lisbon, Portugal, 25-26 September 2019.
– Simbioses. Soundscape installation. Lisboa Soa – Sound Art, Urbanism and Auditory Culture, Lisbon, Portugal 13-15 September 2019.
– Biofeedback. Soundscape installation. gnration, Noite Branca, Braga UNESCO Creative City, Portugal, 6-8 September 2019.
– Garranas: Cantares da Serra. Performance. Eco-festival Terra Mãe, Fafe, Portugal, 19 July 2019
– Duirs. Soundscapes installation. Floresta e Paisagem Nativa. Tanta Terra Festival of Landscape Art, Paço de Lanheses, Portugal. 18-31 May 2019.
– Multi-dimensional Soundwalk. Soundscape co-creation. Villeneuve field works, CRESSON – Centre for research on sound space and urban environment, Grenoble, France, January 2019.
– Shores. Soundscape installation. Ponta Delgada harbour, Invisible places: Sound Urbanism and Sense of Place, São Miguel, Açores, Portugal, April 2017.
– Passagem. Soundscape installation. Lisboa Soa – Sound Art, Urbanism and Auditory Culture, Lisbon, Portugal, September 2017.
– Martinho, Claudia; Paymal, Noemi. Geometry, Consciousness and Architecture for Educational Environments. La Paz, Bolivia: Educatiooon 3000. 2019.
– Claudia Martinho. “Aural Architecture: Experience, Resonance and Attunement“. In Archaeoacoustics III – The Archaeology of Sound. United States: OTS, 2018.
– Martinho, Claudia. “Shores“. In Invisible Places. Sound Urbanism and Sense of Place, São Miguel Island, Azores, 2017.
– Martinho, Claudia; Mathieu Herbelin. “Radio Sonores”. In Sound Space Signal. Guimarães European Capital of Culture, Portugal, 2011.
– Martinho, Claudia. “Relational architecture through listening”. In Site of Sound: Of Architecture and the Ear. Berlin, Germany: Errant Bodies Press, 2011.
– Martinho, Claudia; Bureau des Mesarchitectures; Van Assche, Christine. “Acoustic Spaces for Sound Art”. In Update_3 / Body Sound, 41-45. Belgium: New Media Department of Centre Pompidou and Liedts-Messen Foundation, 2010.
– Martinho, Claudia. “Resonances in Public Space”. In evento 2009 Biennale de Bordeaux, Intime Collectif. France: Monographik Editions and Ville de Bordeaux, 2010.
– Martinho, Claudia; Bureau des Mesarchitectures; Van Assche, Christine. “Fiction Vs. Reality”. In Ida e Volta: Ficção e Realidade, 46-52. Portugal: Centre Pompidou New Media Collection, France and CAMJAP – Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon, 2007.
– Martinho, Claudia; LaBelle, Brandon. Site of Sound: of Architecture and the Ear, Vol. 2. Berlin, Germany: Errant Bodies Press. 2011.
– Maria Madalena Oliveira; Martinho, Claudia. “Once you start listening to the world you are dealing with life.”. Interview with Hildegard Westerkamp. Lusophone Journal of Cultural Studies 8 1 (2021).
– Martinho, Claudia. “Arquitectura Acústica. In: Mapa de Jovens Práticas Espaciais”, Arquitectura 21 (A21), 2010.
– Martinho, Claudia; Moreira, Inês. “Dossier Evento 2009: Encontros Performativos – Intimo e Colectivo”, Revista arq/a, 2009.
TALKS / CONFERENCES (selection)
– Resonant environments: Architecture, Places, Ecosystems. Conference (guest speaker). ART / THOUGHT / SOUND – KNOWING THROUGH SOUND, Open Classes 2020-21, School of Arts UCP, Porto, March 25 2021.
– Soundscapes and Public Space Interventions. Conference (guest speaker). X Cycle of Conferences ECATI Museum Colection Berardo, CCB, Lisbon, November 25 2020.
– Architecture, Geometry and Consciousness: Co-creating Learning Spaces with the Ecosystems. Conference (guest speaker). Architecture 3000 and Universal Geometry 10th International Symposium, Fafe, Portugal, 28 September 2019
– Performing Soundscapes: Sustainable Approaches to Intangible Heritage towards an Ecological Transition. Hidden Archives, Hidden Practices, Aveiro University, Portugal, June 2019
– Soundscapes, Architecture and Territory Regeneration. EJI PATER, 2nd Young Researchers Meeting in Heritage and Territory Studies, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal, June 2019
– Soundscapes in Architecture Practice: Creative and Sustainable Approaches. International Colloquium Soundscapes: Heritage, History, Artistic Territories and Sound Archeology, Braga, Portugal, May 2019
– Sound and Architecture: Space as Resonator. Conference (guest speaker). Sound | Architekturen Seminar, Audiovisual research on materials / Art and Media studies, KHM – Academy for Media Arts Cologne, Germany, July 2018
– Resonant Architecture. Conference (guest speaker)Architecture 3000 and Universal Geometry 9th International Symposium, Sicily, Italy, September 2018
– Experience, Resonance, Attunement. Presentation. In: Archaeoacoustics III International Conference, Tomar, Portugal, October 2017
– Shores. Artist talks, Invisible places: Sound Urbanism and Sense of Place, São Miguel, Açores, Portugal, April 2017
– Acoustic Ecology in Learning Spaces. Architecture 3000 and Universal Geometry 8th International Symposium, Bolivia, August 2017
– Exploring Aural Architecture. Artists talks, Women In Sound Women On Sound: Sound Education Experience. Goldsmiths, University of London, United Kingdom, 2016
– Práticas de Arte Sonora e Ecologia Acústica na Educação Ambiental Criativa. Circuito, Braga Media Arts. gnration, November/December 2021.
– A Escuta das Plantas. Circuito, Braga Media Arts. Bosque do Mosteiro de Tibães, 10 July 2021.
– Sound art co-creation. Art Lab, maat – museum of art, architecture and technology, Lisbon, 29-30 July 2020.
– Acoustic communication with plants. Museu dos Biscainhos. Organized by Circuito: Braga Media Arts Educational Service. 3 July 2020.
– Sound, Light, Geometry. Architecture 3000 and Universal Geometry 10th International Symposium, Fafe, Portugal, 27-29 September 2019.
– Acoustic communication with plants. Lisboa Soa – Sound Art, Urbanism and Auditory Culture, Lisbon, Portugal, 14-15 September 2019.
– Universal Geometry. Architecture 3000 and Universal Geometry 9th International Symposium, Sicily, Italy, September 2018.
– Sacred Geometry with children. Boom Festival, Idanha-a-Nova, Portugal, August 2018.
– Sacred Geometry. Eco-festival Terra Mãe, Fafe, Portugal, July 2018.
– Sound and Architecture: Space as Resonator. Sound | Architekturen Seminar, Art and Media studies, KHM – Academy for Media Arts Cologne, Germany, 8 July 2018.
– Spectrum: Music Communication through the Autism Spectrum. With the XIII Ensemble Training Course of Musical Improvisation with Communities of Casa da Musica and the community of APPDA Norte (Portuguese Association for Developmental Disorders and Autism), artistic direction by Duncan Chapman and Sam Mason, Casa da Musica, Porto, Portugal, January-March 2018.
– Music Communication in a Circle. With the XIII Ensemble Training Course of Musical Improvisation with Communities of Casa da Musica and the community of women from Custoias Prison, artistic direction by Sam Mason and Tim Steiner, Custoias Prison, Portugal, October-December 2017.
– Soundwalk and field recording, Invisible Places, Architecture University, Ponta Delgada, Azores, 2017.
RESIDENCIES, AWARDS, GRANTS & FELLOWSHIPS
– Artistic residency Futurama – Ecossistema Cultural e Artístico do Baixo Alentejo, Beja, Portugal, August 2021.
– Award Wildlife Sound Recording Society, Species category runner up, annual competition 2020.
– Artistic residency Gerês Biosphere, Gerês mountain, Portugal, March-July 2020.
– Grant Direção Geral das Artes ‘Apoio à Criação 2019’, project Symbiosis and Geometries.
– Grant Direção Geral das Artes ‘Apoio à Programação e Desenvolvimento de Públicos 2019’, with Rural Vivo! cultural association.
– Grant Direção Geral das Artes ‘Apoio Simplificado 2019’.
– Grant Gulbenkian Foundation ‘Visual Arts 2019’.
– Award Fundação Bracara Augusta ‘Laboratórios de Verão 2019’.
– Artistic residency Laboratorios de Verão at gnration, Braga, Portugal, 19-30 August 2019.
– Artistic residency Floresta e Paisagem Nativa, Landscape Festival Tanta Terra, Paço de Lanheses, Portugal, 14-19 May 2019.
– Artistic residency Rural Vivo, Campo do Gerês, Portugal, August 2017.
– Artistic residency Invisible places: Sound Urbanism and Sense of Place, São Miguel, Açores, Portugal, April 2017.
– Research Grant, Graduate School, Goldsmiths University of London, England, 2017.
– Research Grant, Music Department, Goldsmiths University of London, England, 2017.
– Artistic residency Construir Juntos, Curatorial Lab, Guimarães Capital of Culture 2012, Portugal, 2012.
– PhD Research Fellowship FCT – Foundation for Science and Technology, 2011-2015.
EVENTS’ DIRECTION / COORDINATION
– Rural Vivo! Artistic Residencies and Encounter of Arts, Ecology and Ruralities. Co-organisation and programming. Campo do Gerês, UNESCO Biosphere Reserve of Gerês, Portugal, July 2020
– 10th International Symposium of Architecture 3000 Research Network. Co-organisation and programming. Quinta do Minhoto, Fafe, Portugal, 26-29 September 2019
– 9th International Symposium of Architecture 3000 Research Network, Co-organisation and programming. Urban Future Organization, Sicily, Italy. Participants: Noemi Paymal (France, Bolivia), Claudio Lucchesi (Italy), Claudia Martinho (Portugal), Takaharu Tesuka (Japan), Prakash Nair (USA), ZeMarc – Michael Rice (Ireland) and Zana Zu (Slovakia), Cosme Espinoza (Mexico), Chavi Gupta (India). September 2018
– evento. Moderator and co-curator of public gatherings. Biennial of Public Art, Bordeaux, France. Participants: Peter Cook, Joseph Grimma, muf architecture/art, Sam Jacob/FAT, Anne Querrien, among others. October 2009.
– Architectones #2 – conference on sound, art and architecture. Co-mediator. La Saline Arc-et- Sénans, France. Participants: Grégoire Chelkoff, Seth Cluett, Raviv Ganchrow, Phill Niblock, Colin Ripley, Edwin van der Heide, among others. July 2009.
Maria João Ferreira, Listening With collective (with Alex De Little, Nik Forrest, Martyna Poznanska, Yifeat, Jacob Eriksen, Walker Tufts), Rural Vivo!, Cantadeiras de São João do Campo, Garranas – Cantadeiras da Serra, AUDIRE: saving sonic-based memories (researcher)
PAST COLLABORATIONS (selection)
Educatiooon 3000 / Architecture 3000 Research Network
Luís Alberto Bittencourt, Mathieu Herbelin, Didier Faustino, PIF, Noemi Paymal, Jonathan Uliel Saldanha, Filipe Silva, SOOPA, Oficina ARARA, Brandon LaBelle, Jean-Baptiste Bayle, La Quadrature du Net, Nicolas Hugoo, Inês Moreira, Paulo Mendes, Emmanuel Hubaut,…
2000-02 / 2006-11 – Bureau des Mesarchitectures, Paris, France. (international exhibitions such as the 11th Architecture Venice Biennial, Venice, Italy; 3rd Yokohama Biennial, Yokohama, Japan; Shenzen and Hong-Kong Biennale of Urbanism/Architecture: City Mobilisation, Shenzen, China,…)
2011 – Drone Ensemble, performance project, Porto, Portugal
2011 – Srosh Ensemble, performance project, Porto, Portugal
2009-11 – VLF~UHF: time warp and space loop experiences, sonic improvisation, Paris, France
2006-2011 – Infra, irregular series of sound events for the exploration of imperceptible phenomena, Paris, France and Porto, Portugal
2004 – Acconci Studio, New York, USA
2004 – nArchitects, New York, USA
2003-04 – Storefront for Art and Architecture, New York, USA